[Gllug] OTish BIOS password

Juan AMIGUET K995263 at atlas.kingston.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 15:02:07 UTC 2003

Hi

On 24 Mar 2003,13:28 i got this from Pete Ryland:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:42:41AM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> > A friend (who I've almost converted to Linux) has bought a
> > motherboard from bankrupt stock. I put some ram etc into it to se
> > what we could do and discovered that it has a BIOS password. It's an
> > Award BIOS, about 2 years old. Any advice on circumventing the
> > password? It's set to boot from hd only (at least, it won't boot a
> > cd or floppy) and doesn't recognise hard drives, presumably because
> > the geometry is already set in the BIOS.
> >
> > I've taken the battery out, but don't know how long to wait for the
> > cmos to fade, or even if that will be enough.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions
>
> Tom's RootBoot Rescue Floppy Disc or whatever it's called has a
> AMIBIOS password cracker IIRC.  If you can boot from floppy, you could
> give that a go.

Another thing that can be done is reseting the bios by software.
all you have to do is write a byte to address 0x30h and another on
to 0x31h this resets the bios.

I can get hold of the source code in pascal if I look around my old
college day floppies.

I last tested that on a mix of PIII an equivalent non intel
motherboards and it was still runing.

take care.

> Pete
> --