[Gllug] HP Photosmart 7550 not printing anymore after reboot - ???

Eric Lee ericlee at labourstart.org
Fri Mar 28 11:37:53 UTC 2003

I've had repeated problems with this one, had it working, then, after a
power failure, it stopped.  (Ouch.)

I have an HP PhotoSmart 7550, connected by USB to my system running Red
Hat 7.3.  I have GhostScript 7.05 running and can view PS files this way.
I also have installed HPIJS 1.3.1, which I confirm by running hpijs -h.
So far, so good.  In printconf-gui, I have everything set up correctly (I
think) -- I'm attaching the /etc/printcap below.

But the darn thing won't print.

The error seems to be 'spool queue for hp doesn't exist on server'.

According to printcap, the spool queue should be /var/spool/lpd/hp, I
think.  That exists.  I've even played around with file and directory
permissions, so it's all pretty wide open now.  When I run checkpc -f, I'm
even told that my permissions are greater than expected.

When I boot Linux, I see the message, "Starting lpd: No Printers Defined".

I admit I'm a newbie, so if any of you can explain what I need to do now,
please explain s l o w l y .  This has been a bit of nightmare, and I
really do need to use my printer.  Thanks very much!

Eric Lee

My printcap file:

hp:\
	:ml=0:\
	:mx=0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
	:af=/var/spool/lpd/hp/hp.acct:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
	:lpd_bounce=true:\
	:if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:
--
Eric Lee
Full contact details: http://www.labourstart.org/contact.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk