[Gllug] FM radio tuner - works!

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Fri Mar 14 11:09:08 UTC 2003

Hey - something about Linux!

Yesterday I was in the Maplin store in Chancery Lane, and saw a D-Link
FM radio adapter being sold for 10 pounds.
Being a sucker for USB gadgets, I bought it without knowing if it would
work under Linux.  The model number is DRU-R100

I'm happy to share with you all that it works!
The lsusb utility  identifies it as "Cypress Semiconductor CY7C63001
R100 FM Radio"
and that it works using gnomeradio.
It should also work using kradio.

By the way, the Google logo today shows Einstein. Happy Birthday!

If any newbies want to try installing one, instructions for Redhat 8.0
are:
Plug the radio into a USB port.
Plug the audio jack into the soundcard input socket
Command '/sbin/lsusb'  to make sure it is connected
(Also can use 'usbview' to see USB devices )

The driver 'dsbr100' should be loaded by hotplug when the radio is
plugged into the USB.

Download the RPM of gnomeradio from the site below
'rpm -Uvh gnomeradio-1.4-1.i386.rpm' to install the RPM file
Gnomeradio is now in the menus, under Extras/Sound and Video

Gnomeradio defaults to using the device /dev/radio
On Redhat, you also need to add this line to /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-81-64 dsbr100

Links:
http://mfcn.ilo.de/gnomeradio
http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~witte/kradio.html