[Gllug] frustrated with Linux

Ashley Evans k0210244 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 00:38:15 UTC 2003

As a quick side note you could try memtest86 to check the RAM, I had a
similar problem with random lock-ups that turned out to be RAM.
memtest86 and a patch to the linux kernel can work around faulty RAM by
forcing the bad cells in the RAM to not be used at all. I haven't
actually tried this because the RAM was under warranty but it could be a
good way to keep the old box running as a non-critical system.

hth

A. Evans

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk