[Gllug] ADSL Modem recommendations

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 23:09:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 22:08, Garry Heaton wrote:

> I'm about to buy an ADSL modem but I noticed both NetGear and D-Link
> products state as "requirements" either Windows or MacOS. How can this
> be? Surely an external ADSL modem doesn't know which OS it's connected
> to when there's nothing but an Ethernet cable between it and the
> machine? Is anyone using one of these products? If so I'd like to know
> so that I can get on with ordering it as my BT line is already activated.

Many of them stick Windows & Mac on without even thinking about anything
else. Some of the manufacturers, while providing a router which will
happily route packets for linux, provide configuration software only for
Windows, so you need a windows machine to set up your new router. Others
provide a web interface for set up, but require a windows utility to
perform firmware updates.

>From recent personal experience setting one up for a friend, I'd
recommend a Netgear DG-814 router. Linux support stated on the box, all
setup done by a web interface which works fine with Mozilla, and an
upload box in the web interface to upload firmware updates to the
router. It has no real firewall, so it's only really suitable if you're
using it in a NAT setup, but it has lots of nice features - port
forwarding, site blocking, etc. You can stick doubleclick.com into the
blocklist to get rid of ads...

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk