[Gllug] ECS K7S6A board problem with NICs

Jean-Pierre Real jpreal at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 3 02:02:49 UTC 2003

Hi,
I'am new to Linux and I spent now so much time on trying to have this
board to work that I'm at the point of giving up.
First a little bit of back ground, I installed mandrake 9.0 in my box:
ECS K7S6A Athlon xp 1800 256 MB ram NIC 3com 905 TX and everything was
working except the NIC. I am fairly sure that it's a motherboard problem
because I tried different NICs without any success and my 3com works on
another PC running mandrake 9.0.

I tried to install with USB,serial and parallel ports, soundcard disable
to free a maximum of IRQ, tried different PC slots and none of that has
worked.

When I look in KDE>control centre information>irq my nic is not listed
but if I look in KDE>control centre information> PCI the NIC is listed
in the correct IRQ. Another thing, I don't know if it's normal but no
matter what I do the NIC IRQ is always the same as another device.

I searched the mandrake mailing list to see if somebody had any similar
trouble and found some problems with that board but nothing that could
help me.

Do I waste my time with this board and should I consider getting another
one? What else could I do to have the NIC having his own irq to check
that this is no the problem?
Should I try with another distribution? If yes which one?

Thanks
JP

JP

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk