[OT] [Gllug] Stop the War march this Saturday 22nd

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Mar 17 16:40:34 UTC 2003

At 14:34 17/03/03, Jason Clifford wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Pete Ryland wrote:
>
> > I think an off-topic post or two to organise a meeting point on Saturday is
> > not exactly too much to ask in the current climate.
>
>Oddly enough I agree.
>
> > That would be on-topic anyway.  I don't know if you've noticed, but certain
> > governments are under pressure from certain countries to outlaw Free
> > Software.
>
>I am not sure that is really true. That said we seem to be moving more and
>more towards totalitarianism and that wont be good for those of us who
>value freedom in it's many forms.
>
> > So where shall we meet on Saturday?
>
>I propose the cafe in Borders, Oxford Circus. Anywhere near the start
>point for the march will be too crowded as I discovered last time.

Just a note of caution: Like the last time expect no buses going into town.
Tubes should, again going by the last time, be okay.

> > That is if the attack isn't over by
> > then (from what I hear, the Iraqi army is pretty much reduced to throwing
> > sticks and stones, so it will probably be a pretty short attack anyway.  I
> > just fear what the AJs[1] will do to those poor people).
>
>I suspect tonight will mark the start of 4 or 5 days of sustained
>bombardment and the ground forces will not have launched the major ground
>attack until that is done so I think we'll still have plenty of murder to
>protest come the weekend.

They'll have to give the inspectors time to get out first.

The day that war breaks out, the Stop the War Coalition "calls on everyone
to STOP EVERYTHING. Where possible walk out of your work place, college or
school and then converge in your city centre. This will culminate in a mass
protest at 6pm.
In London please go straight to Parliament Square in the afternoon for a
massive protest."

Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk