[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Mar 13 17:28:20 UTC 2003

David Damerell writes:

>>Did you know you are personally and singularly responsible for at
>>least three people I know dropping off the gllug list?
>
>No, I'm not, unless I've suddenly acquired mind control powers. Their
>decisions are theirs alone.

Lets assume for a second that Mr. Damerell *is* responsible for people
leaving the list. What do people propose to do about it? You can bitch
about his opinions, but he has as much of a right to post them here as
anyone else.

Personally, I think the list is richer for his presence, and I'm glad
he's here. Are there really people that object to him so much they're
prepared to unsubscribe? Seems a little extreme and childish to me.
After all, this month, his postings have accounted for a mere 4% of
the traffic on the list. Is that really worth throwing away the other
96% for that?

FWIW, the only people I'm aware of that have recently unsubscribed
have done so because of the abysmally low S:N ratio[1]. To which I'm
contributing here, of course! But I don't know what the solution to
that is... perhaps ban anyone but Nix from posting :-)

Tet

[1] Most lists go through phases of having off topic discussions,
    and I think this one's just happens to be in the middle of
	a particulaly prolonged one. Hopefully it'll return to its
	previously high levels soon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk