[Gllug] Parallel Port Detection

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 27 15:51:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 03:29:40PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> I am using a bog-standard Redhat 7.1 kernel, which is presumably compiled with
> everything as modules.
>
> Periodically whenever I print anything via 'lp' the console produces a message
> along the lines of "detecting serial ports / detecting parallel ports ..'
>
> Am I correct in assuming that some daemon is unloading the parallel driver
> module after a period of inactivity, and then it gets loaded again when lp
> is invoked with the resultant detection messages ?

That's right.

> If so, what is easiest way of stopping the module from being unloaded, short
> of recompiling the kernel from source ?

Load the module by hand using modprobe.

Here's an example on my machine:

$ /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ide-cd                 26132   0 (autoclean)
cdrom                  27104   0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
tun                     3392   0
soundcore               3524   0 (autoclean)
agpgart                29504   3 (autoclean)
[ etc ... ]

Note that the 'tun' module is one which I loaded by hand. I didn't supply
the -k option to modprobe, so it isn't auto-cleaned.

# /sbin/modprobe tun

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London office, UK) http://www.redhat.com/