[Gllug] Piracy.

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 16:37:43 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, John Hearns wrote:

> My own take on this discussion is that Linux/GNU software users should
> never be seen to, or even appear to be condoning or encouraging software
> piracy (please, let's not debate the exact meanings etc of that word).
> If we are seen doing that, it then becomes easy to associate us with
> 'crackers', 'viral software' writers etc. etc.
>
> Linux, and GNU, Apache, XFree86, should, and do, stand on their own
> merits.

  I don't agree with that, if somebody associates "us" with all that
 it doesn't mean "we" are, so just because somebody might say something
 negative "we" shouldn't take a stand in one way or another.

 Anyway all this is pointless, because the "we, they" can be anything.

 "The group of Linux/GNU software users" is very amorfous, and
 therefore there are many different points of view.

 Finger pointing is normally pointless.

 I am who I am, what people think about me doesn't change me.

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk