[Gllug] Netscape 4.7 - aaargh

colin z robertson czr at rtnl.org.uk
Mon Mar 17 20:14:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 09:00, Tethys wrote:
> NS4 usage on the net is so low nowadays that it's generally not worth
> gratuitously sacrificing the purity of your HTML to cater for it.

The one good thing about NS4's CSS handling is the bug that makes it
very easy to prevent it using CSS at all. It's actually a long time
since I've done it and I don't have a copy on this machine to test with,
but IIRC...

or

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, notNetscape4">

will prevent NS4 doing anything with the CSS introduced by those tags.

The actual bug is that NS4 fails when it encounters a media attribute
with two or more media types listed in it. The cool thing about this
hack is that the media types list is extensible, so an unrecognised
media type is is still valid HTML. This will only fail when someone goes
and defines a new media type called "notNetscape4", and surely no one's
going to do that.

This is all IIRC. I haven't even thought about NS4 for some time. Test
for yourself and take with a pinch of salt as appropriate.

colin