[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Mar 7 10:23:07 UTC 2003

On Thu 06 Mar, Jason Clifford bloviated thus:

> In the UK modern copyright came about when Queen Ann introduced it to
> protect authors from the monopoly held by the printing houses who severely
> abused authors and kept almost all of the profits from their works for
> themselves - rather like the modern situation in many cases.

When I talk about "copyright" I'm really talking about the treaties
which govern it internationally.  The preample to the Bern Convention
gives a good explanation of its motivations, specifically:

"Recognizing the need to maintain a balance between the rights of
 authors and the larger public interest, particularly education,
 research and access to information, as reflected in the Berne
 Convention,"

http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/copytreaty.html#Preamble

> There was certainly no stated aim in the UK to encourage more such works
> although it may have been a consideration.

If this were not an aim, why is there a timeout on the protection of
copyright?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "It's better to die on your feet than to
  live on your knees."
- Power and the Passion, Midnight Oil