[Gllug] Cross-platform GUI

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Mar 7 12:59:42 UTC 2003

Hi:

I'm looking for a cross-platform GUI toolkit for developing a client
application (similar to a word processor in concept) and I'm hoping
someone out here can give me advice. Requirements are:

* Finished apps must run on Windows and Linux. Additional platforms are a
  bonus. Must have the native look'n'feel, or very close to.

* Very rich set of widgets - this "word processor" concept is going to
  be quite demanding in particular on the text widget.

* Ideally I'd like to be able to develop entirely on Linux and
  treat Windows as the embedded target. In the real world it'd be
  nice to develop primarily on Linux and just do a final compile
  on Windows. (Of course if a scripting language is used, then no
  "compile" should be necessary ...)

* Free-as-speech development toolchain.

* Easy for the customer to install the relevant runtime on Windows.
  Shouldn't require a massive JVM-type infrastructure.

* Prefer not to develop in C++ or Java. Perl would be ideal.

Current possibilities include WxPerl (Perl + WxWindows), but I'm
not certain how stable this is. Does anyone have any experience
of it?

Or XUL and Javascript.

Or some language + Gtk, but I'm not sure if there is a mature Windows
port of Gtk, and I don't want the Gtk look-and-feel on Windows anyway.

Or OCaML + Gtk (but again not sure if this is viable on Windows).

Perl/OCaML + Tk - does this have the native look on Windows? Last time
I used Tcl/Tk it was a pain to do anything complex with the text widget.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any advice!

Rich.

--