[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 21:06:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:51:57AM +0000, chris.wareham wrote:
 >The anti-copyright mob claim that because they can copy something, that
 >those who try and stop them are "profit grabbing bastards". Nope.
Think >about music, something that I have a considerable involvement in.
I pay >for my equipment. I pay for rehearsal time. I pay for recording and I
 >get nothing for distribution. Now you come along and think "I've read
 >that all data should be free, I'm unable or unwilling to satisfy my
 >own musical needs but I can copy someone elses music". If I have
 >explicitly said "you can copy my music freely", then that's not a
 >problem. But what is happening with music is that people are copying
it >regardless of the creators wishes just because they can, and then
 >coming up with ludicrous justifications.
 >Now, can we get back to answering *technical* queries regarding Linux
 >and free software and perhaps setup an alternative Chat list for the
 >anarcho-student type wastes of bandwidth.

I hope you don't mind if I ignore your plea regarding copyright, because
I think your arguments put forward regarding copyright law are deeply
flawed. Copyright and software patent issues are difficult issues to get
right in the digital age. Before I try and put forward a non ludicrous
argument against copyright law I wonder Chris if you would be so kind as
to give the group the benefit of your thinking regarding censorship and
the internet?
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk