[Gllug] Netscape 4.7 - aaargh

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 22:09:35 UTC 2003

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:29:27PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Just want to express my annoyance that although I wrote standards
> compliant html and css, Netscape 4.7 couldn't/wouldn't/doesn't handle
> it.

Not only is Netscape 4.x's support for current standards very poor (ie:
woefully incomplete), but a lot of its CSS is *broken*. Its DOM is also
incompatible with the W3C DOM that modern browsers are heading towards.

Designing for modern standards is highly commendable and you shouldn't let
the fact that your pages don't display correctly on NS4 stop you. So
long as current browsers (NS 7.x, Mozilla 1.x, IE 5.5+, Opera, Konq.,
Safari, etc) render the page OK it is IMO fine for legacy browsers to
handle things as you want. Of course things should ideally degrade in a
manner such that whilst all the features of your site may not work and it
may not look nice, the basic functionally and content is there and
accessible on all browsers. Basically: If you can get the same out of the
site with Netscape 4.x as you can with lynx then it's fine.

--
Stuart

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk