[GLLUG] War stuff

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Mar 19 09:17:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Steve Cobrin wrote:

> > Are you stating that as a GLLUG organiser you want those of us who
> > are discussing aspects of the current US/UK agression against iraq
> > and trying to arrange our involvement in any protests to stay off
> > list or just that you'd like us not to identify our political
> > position in this respect with our being Free Software advocates?
>
> Well, I'd say the latter. We should be careful of getting Linux/GLLUG
> linked to Political views outside the confines of IT related issues, as
> that could have a negative impact on us, or peoples willingness to come
> to us for help.

My thought is that the latter position is entirely compatible with the
occassional OT discussion - such as we've seen here lately - as to force
those who wish to have such discussions to bugger off to a dedicated
"geeks-for-peace" type list as suggested by another poster would very much
lead to a very specific cross identification such as you, and I, want to
avoid.

I don't believe there is any aspect of UK life where discussion on our
current course re the attack on Iraq (and subsequent attacks) is not
happening. It is the single biggest issue around.

The discussions on list list this week directly about this were very short
- indeed the lengthy OT thread has been this one.

> The merits (or otherwise) of political issues, unless related to
> Computing are not relevant in *this* discussion group.

If this is only a list for discussion of issues directly related to
computing I think you'll find a very high % of OT posts. The fact seems to
be that there are many members whose involvement in Free Software and thus
this list is part of a greater whole from which it is not possible to
divorce a little into a vacume.

> A certain amount of moderation does take place, in case of SPAM, where
> the mailing list software tries to detect it, and asks some of us to
> authorise it.

Are you seriously equating the discussions we've been having with SPAM?
That in my view is a rediculous assertion.

> I guess we reserve the right to kick people of the mailing list, or IRC
> channel, if their behaviour is anti-social or not in the interest of
> GLLUG. However I can't recall when we last had to do that, usually its
> handled by a quiet aside or email, occasionally a flame :-)
>
> but, <sigh>, perhaps its time to spell things out more clearly on the
> Web Site or mailing list information at
> http://list.ftech.net/mailman/listinfo/gllug, though personally I'd
> rather be spending time preparing for the next meeting.

Well if there is general support among the list membership for that
position I'll accept it however so far I've seen only 4 or 5 people hold
up that view. I seem to remember a meeting not so long ago where
dictatorial management of GLLUG was rejected.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		Get the T-Shirt Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk