[Gllug] Red Hat 9.0

Walid Shaari Walid at melinux.com
Tue Mar 25 23:44:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 21:57, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:39:01PM +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> >
> > I guessing most of you know already but for those that don't....
> >
> > Red Hat 9.0 is released on 31st March to RHN subscribers and a week later
> > for FTP downloads..
> >
> > Now what I don't understand is what will be *so* new that they haven't
> > gone for 8.1, 8.2, 8.3. Also why not wait for the 2.6 kernel to be
> > released to mark a major version release.
> >
> > Anyway at least it's something new to play with.
>
> Another clue may be perhaps seen below. By going for major releases more
> often, the RH Certificate expires more quickly, so they earn more money
> on training courses & exams ... or am I too cynical ?

That's actually not true, and I find that a bit cynical coming from the
guy who used to deliver RHCE courses, with all due respect!! if you
check the RHCE FAQ, you will find that the certification will follow the
Enterprise release path which is less often (1 1/2 year minimum IIRC),
and same as other unix certifications you will be certified in a certain
release X, it is up to the person certified to keep track of the new
updates, and follow what is going on the world of linux/redhat. and it
is up to redhat to make sure that people who claim to be professionals
in using their distro are up to a certain standards.

to get the better picture from redhat themselves check :

https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/rhce_faq.html#current

Walid.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk