[Gllug] Life of hard drives

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 20:11:58 UTC 2003

On Thu 06 Mar, Tethys wrote:

> Chris Bell writes:
>
> >   I would like to find a drive that does not need to be fast, or
> >noisy, but has as long a life as possible.
>
> Then get a slow drive. I have a large number of 5400 and 7200 RPM
> drives, and they've been consistently pretty reliable. No, they're
> not as fast as 10K or 15K drives. But I don't *need* them to be.
> And despite what many will claim, neither do 99% of the population.
>
> Tet

   That is certainly fast enough for the need, but I get the impression that
the majority of these drives are not as well engineered as the faster ones,
down to a price rather than up to a standard. On the other hand, part of the
price charged for the more expensive drives could just be an increased
insurance premium. It is much easier to find MTBF figures than design life
details, while manufacturer's warranty times do not necessarily give away
any information.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk