[Gllug] Life of hard drives

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 12:26:37 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 12:03, Tethys wrote:

> Stephen Harker writes:
>
> >IBM SCSI 10000rpm Hard drives make strange squeeking noises but
> >apparently that's normal?!
>
> Only for certain models in the UltraStar range. I have an IC35L018UWD210-0
> that does it. Apparently it's thermal recalibration.
>
> Tet

I've heard the same thing in both senses - mine only do it when they are
idle, every 30 seconds (but given that there are 4 of them, thats quite
a bit of squeaking).

IBM's marvellous mechanical mouse organ.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk