[Gllug] Red Hat 9.0

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Sat Mar 29 08:08:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:50:11AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Actually just mingo (Uli was testing thread startup times, but never had
> more than 50 running concurrently), and it was 100,000 concurrent threads,
> not millions. But still impressive all the same, and *way* more than any
> real life application will ever need. Apparently the box was still usable
> and responsive with a load average well into 4 figures...

Hmm, that's intresting.  It also looks as if you can get the jdk to use
nptl with a bit of env manipulation:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/phil-list/2002-November/000324.html

Now having to support a java app that creates quite a lot of threads -
not anywhere near 100,000 - I'd like to see if 2.5.xx plus NPTL makes a
large difference to performance.

Something to play with anyway :)

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk