[Gllug] OTish BIOS password

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 24 11:42:41 UTC 2003

Hello all,

A friend (who I've almost converted to Linux) has bought a motherboard from
bankrupt stock. I put some ram etc into it to se what we could do and
discovered that it has a BIOS password. It's an Award BIOS, about 2 years
old. Any advice on circumventing the password? It's set to boot from hd only
(at least, it won't boot a cd or floppy) and doesn't recognise hard drives,
presumably because the geometry is already set in the BIOS.

I've taken the battery out, but don't know how long to wait for the cmos to
fade, or even if that will be enough.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dylan

--