[Gllug] Java sucks

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Fri Mar 7 17:27:04 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:03:42PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Simon Stewart writes:
>
> >What are you trying to do? I've not run into a situation where this is
> >a problem, and I'm curious to find out.
>
> If we have a number of Java processes running on a machine, how do we
> tell which one's which? The Solaris ps command truncates the command
> at 79 characters (with no flags to increase the cutoff point). So our
> ps output typically looks like:

This is a pain, the jpackage-discuss list are just talking about this.
Anyway, one way around it in this case is to use the
jakarta-commons-daemon ( in sandbox ), which means you can use jsvc for
tomcat 4 (there is a script shipped with it to use this)
which has a C JNI wrapper to the java stuff. I've also been pointed at
EasyPosix.

http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/sw/easyposix/overview.html

Hth

Paul