[Gllug] Piracy.

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Tue Mar 4 19:39:04 UTC 2003

At 18:35 04/03/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>The key difference here is that software is based on an artificial
>scarcity.  You, theoretically, don't have access to the product unless
>you buy it, but the duplication costs are negligable.  So essentially
>the "crime" being committed only because our society has decided to
>allow a business model to be built on an artificial scarcity.

This is a poor argument.

There is no discussion here: using unlicensed software is theft. It's no
different to ripping stereos out of cars or stealing purses and wallets in
a nightclub.  The fact that you're stealing from Microsoft doesn't make you
look good, it makes you look like the immoral zoa you are.

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk