[Gllug] Re: Problems with modem

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 12:16:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Tiago Menezes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After I asked for help from the people in this list a week or so ago,
> I've been reading/trying some of the many helpful suggestions. However,
> I'm still running into trouble with my external modem (3COM Sportster
> Flash).
>
> I followed the procedure on "Take Command Configuring pppd in Linux,
> Part I" (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5448) and also
> played with minicom/wvdial as suggested by different people in the list.
>
> Looking at the log messages given during the procedure in the article
> mentioned above (please see below), it seems to me that the problem is
> something to do with 'hotplug'.
>
> Skimming through the 'Linux hotplugging' page
> (http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=debug) they seem to
> suggest that, very often, the problem resides with the drivers for the
> device. However, going to the Mandrake (I'm now running Mandrake 9.0)
> hardware page (http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3)
> this is what they say about the modem:

 Mandrake is a PITA is you choose wrongly to use dial on demand,
 and then change it to manual dialling.

 I fixed this problem in 8 something, im not really sure what
 the problem was, but I haven't had it since due to that I am
 still using most files residing on /etc from that version on
 9.0.

 My suggestion is not to worry about hotplug I get the same "not warning"
 about assuming the link is up.

 The problem seems to be ppp failing to connect

 LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

 I suggest you edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
 and change DEBUG="no" to yes if it is not already done.

 Basically you will get more info from ppp, hopefully.
 Post the output.

 Bom dia.

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk