[Gllug] frustrated with Linux

Branden Faulls omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 10:40:42 UTC 2003

Hang in there,  we've all struggled with GNU/Linux at some point and
after about 6 months or so, it suddenly becomes easier, or at least it
comes as no surprise that you'll have to do some fiddling.

I started out with Progeny, a Debian derivative, and don't think I'd
have made it to using Debian exclusively if Progeny hadn't done so much
of the grunt work.  Choose an easy distro at first, there's no reason to
  make your life harder than necessary. I've no experience with it, but
Mandrake seems to be immensely popular and people are saying good things
about Xandros.  I'd go with a HDD install of Knoppix if I had to do it
all over again.  It's Debian without hassle and with bells on.

Pete Ryland wrote:

> The path of least resistance for you may well be to grit your teeth and
> migrate to MS Windows.  We'll miss you.  Hopefully those fighting for Free
> Software will at some stage win us the ability to gain access to what we
> need to compete fairly.  I think we're currently winning, but the war's not
> over yet.
>
> My 2p,
> Pete

<IMHO>

Have to disagree with you Pete, and this is said as someone who
uses/does web development on GNU/Linux not someone who develops FOR
GNU/Linux, but it's not about war.  War engenders all sorts of images of
ardour and conflict.  Using Free Software, as I understand it, is about
liberating users/developers from just this sort of distraction and
conflict.  We can choose our stance, and our level of involvement in
advocacy and development, which is not a luxury particpants in a war
have.  Bottom line, and this thread is about this, is that we have a
*choice*.  GNU/Linux just happens to be the best one!

</IMHO>

Branden

--
|Branden Faulls                         |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk