[Gllug] Advice on getting on the career ladder for c and linux

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 21:27:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, James de Lurker mused:
> It doesn't seem that long ago that Hitachi brought out "compiler" tools
> that first made C coding for tiny micros a realistic proposition.

For DSPs, even C is grossly impractical; the instruction sets are so
weird and the memory-capacity so limited that assembler is the only
practical proposition.

(The MAS3587F inside the MP3-playing box next to me , for instance, has
4K of code memory, 4K of `coefficient' memory (i.e. data space), 256
registers, and if I read the data sheet right[1], has assembler
instructions to do things like Fourier analysis. I doubt many C
compilers would know how to use *that* instruction, but its use is
absolutely critical to the sort of code one writes on there...)

[1] and it says very little about the instruction set; I'm mostly
    guessing

--
#ifdef USE_ISPTS_FLAG
		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */