[OT] [Gllug] Stop the War march this Saturday 22nd

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Mar 17 14:13:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:29:11PM +0000, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> At 12:35 17/03/03, you wrote:
> >Dermot Moynihan writes:
> >>Sorry to be so blatantly off topic but somethings are a little more
> >>important than rules.
> >
> >I disagree. Everyone has their own ideas about what's crucially important
> >and what's not,

I think an off-topic post or two to organise a meeting point on Saturday is
not exactly too much to ask in the current climate.

> Well now, I might have even thought you had a valid point if only you kept
> yourself to the same high standards you wish to hold the members of the
> list to:
>
> I'm reminded of your very active part in that extremely long, and, oh so
> important, discussion on grammar.

However, that was well labelled as OT in the subject, iirc, as this now is.

> If I was willing to pursue this further I wonder how far I'd have to check
> to see you holding forth on the benefits of FREEDOM and the dangers of
> CENSORSHIP. You surely haven't been commenting on such, now have you ;)

That would be on-topic anyway.  I don't know if you've noticed, but certain
governments are under pressure from certain countries to outlaw Free
Software.

> I find that people who often hold forth on the merits of such things often
> are extremely tyrannical viz. Blair on *liberating* the Iraqis and on
> supplying *democracy* to oppressed peoples. No comments of course on how
> we supplied the means to oppress them in the first place.

Whatever.  Save it for the march.

So where shall we meet on Saturday?  That is if the attack isn't over by
then (from what I hear, the Iraqi army is pretty much reduced to throwing
sticks and stones, so it will probably be a pretty short attack anyway.  I
just fear what the AJs[1] will do to those poor people).

Pete

[1] A friendly old term for army personnel, of whom I've known too many bad
ones.  Stands for "Army Jerks".
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/