[Gllug] Postfix -> SMTP

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Mar 4 12:24:07 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Mick Farmer announce to the hordes:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I'm running RH 8.0 and think that Postfix (as supplied) is
> an overkill for my situation.  All my mail is handled by our
> mail hub, so I only need a simple SMTP solution.  Here's the
> current setup.

>      | Mail |----->| Postfix |----->| Hub |
>
> How can I get my MUA to send e-mail direct to my hub instead
> of going via the Postfix daemons?

Erm... Set "smart host" on  "Mail" to point to the ip address of "Hub"?
Cut postfix out of the loop. If you want to send mail from the redhat box
too, set "smart host" in postfix and it'll deal with it.

If you want a smaller smtp server, there're alternatives. Check freshmeat.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk