[Gllug] How can I make sure my email is not treated as spam?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sat Mar 1 15:59:20 UTC 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 02:48:41PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 14:37, Doug Winter wrote:
> > On Sat 01 Mar Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > > I then changed the name of the box to mail-relay.myorganisation.org.uk
> > > (names have been changed, but myorganisation.org.uk is a real domain,
> > > but mail relay is not a "real" sub-domain).
> > >
> > > This seemed to work for many of the mail relays that were previously
> > > bouncing the emails, but not all.
> >
> > Some (broken IMO) sites look for an entry in the reverse DNS when they
> > get an SMTP connection, and reject you if you don't have one, or even if
> > the forward and reverse DNS don't match.  For all email to get through
> > you need to ensure your machine has a proper entry in the reverse DNS.
> >
> > The other option is to use your ISPs outgoing mail server as a smart host.
> > Obviously it's better to avoid depending on it if you can, but this is a
> > straightforward solution.
> >
> How do I do that?

depends on what mail server/distro you are using Debian asks you during
configuration whether you use the default Exim or another such as
Postfix or Sendmail.  Other distros should have similar tools.  Other
wise start reading the config files and documentation.

IMHO unless you know Sendmail well don't use it, it uses M4 macros to
configure itself.  Unless you want to learn M4 use Exim or Postfix.

A really nice combo that I use is
Postfix/Courier/Squirrelmail/pop-before-smtp all over SSL.  I look after
about 20 odd domains and about a 100 users.  The pb4smtp means that the
users can logon from dynamically allocated IP addresses and still send
mail without opening the box up as an open relay for spammers.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk