[Gllug] Re: Serial Terminal

Mark Williams mark at aziraphale.homeip.net
Sun Mar 30 01:10:13 UTC 2003

> 	How do I get Linux to treat its serial port as a terminal
> oldest trick in the book I know but for somreason I have serial
> terminals sitting around and I figure I can get them to work if I
> just add a line into /etc/inittab but what is the line. I think is
> somthing like
>
> 7:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS0
>
> but this don't work.

ISTR that `mgetty' is for connecting with a modem and relies on the
ring/ carrier detect signals which I guess are missing from your dumb
terminal.  Use the plain `getty' program instead.  Here is the inittab
entry for my only server without a serial console:

|0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600 z88

You can substitute values appropriate to your terminal for the last
two parameters or maybe do without them and use the defaults.

> Any ideas, perhaps what I need is a Unix hack from the seventies....

Pah---don't know they're born, mumble, grumble.

--
Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk