[Gllug] BBC News 24 at higher quality

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Sun Mar 23 21:09:53 UTC 2003

On Sat 22 Mar, Dylan bloviated thus:

> Do you think we could make a concerted effort to explain the problems to the
> BBC?

Here's a quick stab at it:
* Real charge a _fortune_ in licenses for streaming servers.  That's
  _MY_ money being spent!  Xvid, OTOH, is free (in both senses).
* Real restrict the ways I can view the channel for which my TV
  license pays.  For example, I can't view it full-screen under Linux,
  nor can I send it to the TV-Out from my Linux system.  In fact, even
  if I maximise the screen using Realplayer, the quality is appalling
  because they use only X11 to paint to the screen.
* Can I just remind them that _I_ pay a license fee?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Old ravers never die.  They just decide house music isn't
so bad after all.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk