[Gllug] Stop the War march this Saturday 22nd

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Mar 17 13:29:11 UTC 2003

At 12:35 17/03/03, you wrote:

>Dermot Moynihan writes:
>
> >Sorry to be so blatantly off topic but somethings are a little more
> >important than rules.
>
>I disagree. Everyone has their own ideas about what's crucially important
>and what's not,

Well now, I might have even thought you had a valid point if only you kept
yourself to the same high standards you wish to hold the members of the
list to:

I'm reminded of your very active part in that extremely long, and, oh so
important, discussion on grammar.

a taste:

"When I was at school (in the '80s), English was split exactly 50/50
between language and literature. Both were compulsory, and while I
wouldn't say there was a strong emphasis on grammar and spelling,
we certainly had all the rules explained to us, and were marked down
for grammatical and spelling errors."

And then there's your comments on the necessity of this war: