[Gllug] txuenergi.co.uk website refusing Mozilla

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 17:53:05 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:

> Sigh. I've just lost the argument with people at work that browser
> detection scripts are evil, and our site will be having them soon :-(
>
> The problem is that it's so hard to do it right. Rather than being
> able to query the browser's capabilities, the site has to rely on
> a static lookup table based on the User-Agent to determine if the
> browser will work OK.

what I just cannot understand is why people deliberately make thier
sites closed to people with unexpected user-agent strings !

If they can't identify the browser - why don't they just treat it as if
it is, say, MSIE 5.5 ?!!!

I keep waiting for the mobile internet revolution to happen - hopefully
the proliferation of low capability browsers (owned by rich early
adopters) will make some people think again about this.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk