[Gllug] Are old Unix books any good?

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Mon Mar 3 08:47:59 UTC 2003

Steve Cobrin writes:

>Perhaps we should start building up a recommended Unix and Linux Book
>list to put on the GLLUG web pages...

In which case, I'd add (for programming):

K&R (obviously)
"Advanced programming in the Unix environment" -- Stevens
"Systems programming with SVR4" -- David Curry (sadly out of print)

For sysadmin:

"Unix power tools" -- O'Reilly. Make sure you get the first edition.
                                They ruined it for the second.
"Internet core protocols" -- Eric A. Hall
"Sendmail" -- Eric Allman

>I know there are plenty of sites which make recommendations, but
>maybe we could start by only having books which people actually have.

I find myself very rarely referring to many books these days. Obviously
I still use the sendmail book -- no one can be expected to keep all of
it in memory :-) And I still occasionally use the Internet core protocols
book. But for most other things, man pages and Google suffice...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk