[Gllug] Almost OT but not quite

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Wed Mar 19 10:06:44 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:49:33PM -0000, James Bailey wrote:
> Just got a new P4 M/B and Intel chip for my Linux server. It's got a
> S478 socket. I've come to fit the heat sink to the board. When the heat
> sinks clips are clipped in all the way it puts a very nasty bend in the
> motherboard...
>
> Any one else had any thing like this?

Yes this is normal apparently, IBM even have a FAQ on there site about
it.  I read about it either on tomshardware or quietpcreview, my board
hopefully arrives today so I can't confirm it personally yet.  Over the
long term I wouldn't have thought this was good for the PCB, but then
the material is flexible and copper tracks are soft so possibly no harm
is caused.  Saying that I will be looking at fitting it so there is no
bend in the board by making modifications (don't know what they are yet)
as it seams to be poor design technique.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk