[Gllug] Wrong ADSL modem/router?

George F. Saxby george at gogointernet.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 17:20:05 UTC 2003

for example IPCop ( www.IPCop.org )

> Having said that, you may find the packet filtering abilities of a
> good ADSL modem to be satisfactory. Ours does NAT (OK if you have only
> 1 real IP address - we don't, but we don't use it for NAT, and anyway
> I digress) and will pass specific incoming ports to specific machines
> - perfectly adequate for most home setups and adequately secure. So
> your options are;
>
> phone socket --- ADSL router doing NAT, filtering --- all
>
>                                                   |-- internal
>
>                                                   \-- machines
>
> Or;
> phone socket --- ADSL router --- firewall box --- switch --- all
>
>                                                          |-- internal
>
>                                                          \-- machines
>
> There's nothing wrong with a 4-port router for this, but clearly you
> could get a 1-port job and save a bit of change. Or you could get an
> internal ADSL modem (warning; I have NO IDEA about Linux support for
> such things) for the firewall box in the above setup.

There is an ADSL pci card from PULSAR which has linux drivers works a treat
with IPCop it is via this setup that you get this message :-}

the setup here is  demon ADSL line > IPCop with PULSAR pci adsl card & 2
network cards > 16 Port 100Mb switch >  CAT5e net > a small hoard of Linux
boxes & the odd darkside box some on green interface and a box in the orange
DMZ.

--
Bandiera tuxa trionfera,
Evviva il penguin e la liberta