[Gllug] frustrated with Linux

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.com
Sat Mar 1 01:13:57 UTC 2003

Hi Steve,

I feel with you and I think there is are two solutions to your headaches:

(1) Use Knoppix which runs beautifully out of the box and only requires
minor 'adjustments'.

(2) Switch to Mac (no pun indended) which is based on BSD and runs
stable, fuss-free and has a beautiful GUI.

I'm using Linux box for all code-work, general office stuff and most
other things (including q3a). My trusted iBook takes the brunt of all
Photoshop and 2/3D related duties. Sharing my CRT with the iBook over
VNC sometimes (even Photoshop)... works nicely in this combination :D

Steve Nicholson wrote:
> skip to questions at end if you don't want to read about my problems.
> <rant on>
</snip>

> So some questions:
> 1. Would I be better moving to something like Suse or Mandrake on the
> desktop so it's simpler to get printing working, be able to install
> latest apps etc? Or stick with Debian, upgrade to testing and try to use
> some of unstable?

Stick to stable if you want to loose your headaches!
(/me is using woody/stable and KDE2 (which also is stable))

> 2. Using Gnome or KDE so there is consistency in apps/key bindings?
> (speed is an issue here which is why I've been using ION and moved to
> MUTT for mail).

dunno, but KDE works well for me... .

> 3. Would a faster computer help?  I'm currently using a 500Mhz AMD with
> 196Mb RAM, my main reason for not using openoffice is it's too slow,
> same with mozila, GIMP etc.  Although this in mainly opening new windows
> or rendering large pages but then this is what I'm doing a lot.

I'm running an Epia M9000 with a 933mhz CPU, 512MB DDRam and a fast 60GB
IBM disc. No lag here :)

> 4. Any ideas of a free SIP client for Linux and Windows that are
> compatible? I need to find something that works through a firewall for
> voice so I can still talk to my dad in NZ and ditch Yahoo messenger or
> find a way to run it in Linux.  This is my main reason for keeping a
> windows box round at the moment other than for testing IE on sites.  I
> thought I had it sorted by running exceed on my Laptop so I could use it
> as a terminal for my Linux PC from my bedroom and still access to Yahoo
> but it keeps F crashing (not sure if it's win95 problem or exceed).
> </rant off>

There was a VoIP app for Linux.. something like NetMeeting... can't
remember though. GAIM works OK for all IM stuff.

Using VNC and a mates Windoze box to test websites on M$ :)

> Thanks for listening.
> Steve.

You are welcome.

/me passes milk and cookies to Steve