[Gllug] Problems with modem

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Tue Mar 11 11:42:19 UTC 2003

At 11:08 11/03/03, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been trying to set up an external modem to use with RedHat 7.3. It's a
>(2nd hand) Robotics Sportster Flash V.90, and it works fine under Windows.
>However, even though kudzu recognises it, and RH didn't complain when
>setting up the dial-up connection, I'm not able to establish a connection
>with the ISP.
>
>I wonder if anyone could help trying to pinpoint the problem please.
>
>I attach the messages I get when I use 'wvdial' to establish the
>connection and also the messages from /var/log.
>
> From my very little understanding of these matters it seems that the
> modem is actually OK and that it is something to do with ppp daemon.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tiago
>
>---------------//------------
>
>  wvdial UKLinux
>--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
>--> Initializing modem.
>--> Sending: ATZ
>ATZ
>OK
>--> Modem initialized.
>--> Sending: ATDT 08456042086
>--> Waiting for carrier.
>ATDT 08456042086
>CONNECT 33600/ARQ
>--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
>--> Starting pppd at Sat Mar  8 23:30:13 2003
>--> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 16)
>--> Disconnecting at Sat Mar  8 23:30:39 2003
>--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
>--> pppd error!  Look at files in /var/log for an explanation.

I know damn little about these things but your mail rings a bell.
Does the same thing happen if you are logged on as root?
If it doesn't you have the same problem I had.
I know the solution (thanks to the guys on this list) but am going to have
to track down an old e-mail so I don't want to waste my time on it until
I'm sure our problem is the same.
Let me know.

Rgds
Dermot