[Gllug] IBM Thinkpad 600 and 2.5.65

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 09:13:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
> > Anybody managed to get this (or similar) combination to work.
> >
> > After two days of compiling, resetting options etc, all I get is
> > "uncompressing kernel" and then a freeze.
> >

>  Have you tried the passing the usual acpi=no to the kernel?
>

> Err, no. Tell me more (not how to do it, but why).

 AFAIK the earlier ACPI implementations were a bit loose, due to the
 standard not being very "concise" about how things should be done.

 This lead to oddities on linux + bsd kernels, some machines would
 need to have acpi switched off to operate. Some of them wouldn't
 boot without acpi on in the kernel and would freeze with it on.

 The 600 is a semi-old machine so this issues were polished out in
 older kernels, how it is affected by 2.5 is something I don't have
 a clue.

 But being something so easy to test I would definitely give it a go.

--
 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570            Study the past, if you would divine

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk