[Gllug] Linux in education

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Mar 11 17:11:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 16:52, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst John Hearns announce to the hordes:
> >
> > Good to see Linux mentioned in todays Education Guardian.
> > http://education.guardian.co.uk/elearning/story/0,10577,911376,00.html
> >

> > What is Linux and how can I use it in school?
> >
> > Linux is an operating system rather like Windows
>
> s/rather like/totally dissimilar to/
>
> Whoever wrote that didn't know what he was on about.

In the sense that it's a program that allows other programs to run, it
could be classed as similar.

Of course, they're poles apart when it comes to quality, stability etc
etc but since the article's pitched at the education market, it's about
the same as telling us that the Ariane 5 is similar to the Delta IV.

Apologies to the space scientists who do actually know the difference :)

Simon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk