[Gllug] OT hardware recommendations

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 19:34:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 09:58, Tethys wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt writes:

> Are you saying specifically to go for a FireGL or similar card? Or just
> any card with 3D acceleration?

No, just any card with 3D acceleration. I'd imagine a FireGL is overkill
unless his Dad is doing really high end stuff. I tend to assume that the
people who need FireGL level cards know they need them...

> >No, and in general, U320 won't be any faster than U160 for a single
> >disk.
>
> Yes, but since the system is going to be used for video editing, it will
> benefit from RAID anyway, rather than just a single drive. I'd always
> say go for SCSI over IDE, but IDE RAID configurations are coming up
> pretty cheap these days, so if cost's a factor, it might be worth
> looking into.

RAID is definitely a good idea. Like you, I always go SCSI in
preference, but a lot of my reasoning is a belief that its just better
quality hardware, and more reliable.

> Tekram controllers are pretty good, but check in advance which ones
> have native kernel support. Although mine (a DC-395X) is supported,
> the driver isn't in the stock kernels, so I have to apply a patch
> from external sources to get it to work.

They seem to be quite co-operative though, from what I've heard.
Admittedly, having to patch the kernel to get your hardware running is a
bit of a pain.

> Actually, Rv250 cards have full hardware accelleration under Linux.
> Not only have ATI have their own closed source driver, but unlike
> NVIDIA, they've released full programming information to XFree86,
> so an open source driver is available as of XFree86-4.3.0 (released
> a couple of weeks ago).

Cool, that's great to know. The DRI website obviously isn't up to date
then. Any arrival date on full support for the Rv300 based cards?

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk