[Gllug] BBC News 24 at higher quality

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 24 11:46:00 UTC 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 11:30, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Saturday, Mar 22, 2003, at 23:20 Europe/London, Dylan wrote:
> > Do you think we could make a concerted effort to explain the problems
> > to the
> > BBC?
>
> Now, RealPlayer is an awful bit of software, but currently it's the
> most widely available (reasonably slim) format that's officially
> available for linux --- I wouldn't trust the windows media codecs to
> continue working with mplayer for too long, especially when MS start
> promoting, and third parties start using, the DRM features. So what
> exactly are you proposing? The encouragement of Yet Another Monopoly?
> Or is there some Open Source alternative that you'd like to promote?
>
> Not meaning to troll --- I'd be thrilled if Xiph's open streaming video
> format was up to scatch, and I hear good things about XVid too (though
> I've not used it) but I get the feeling that Auntie takes the view that
> there are only two formats worth thinking of.

Actually, I'd like to see the BBC put pressure on RealNetworks to open their
system (at least somewhat.) But my major gripe is that the broadband content
is primarily (only?) available through an embedded player. It would be easy
enough to provide a "if you can't use the embedded player..." link. I have
already mailed the BBC to that effect, but of course have had no response.

Dylan

--
It is a dark day...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk