[Gllug] [OT] Hardware

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Mar 18 11:52:14 UTC 2003

I am from the US and moved here.  If it is a CRT monitor and not an LCD
monitor, tell him to sell it and buy new here.  trying to get TVs and
Monitors working on UK power is very difficult and usually very expensive.
It has to do with the frequency, not the voltage.  Converting voltage is
easy, but converting the frequency is expensive and usually doesn't work
well.  Most other stuff, like the computer itself, should work just find
provided it has a universal power supply (i.e. does both 115 and 230 volts)
Some power supplies are truly universal, that is runs on anything from
100-250v at 40-70 hz, and some are switching power supplies, that is have a
switch to select either the 115v range or the 230v range.  The frequecy here
does not really matter since it is being converted to DC and strictly
regulated anyway.  Almost all computer power supplies can handle any freq
from 40-70 hz without a problem.

Andy Farnsworth
Mobile   : +44 (0) 7736 952 749
@Ikea    : +46 (0)   42 264 982