[Gllug] Red Hat 9.0

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 22:37:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Simon Morris wrote:

> I guessing most of you know already but for those that don't....
>
> Red Hat 9.0 is released on 31st March to RHN subscribers and a week later
> for FTP downloads..
>
> Now what I don't understand is what will be *so* new that they haven't
> gone for 8.1, 8.2, 8.3. Also why not wait for the 2.6 kernel to be
> released to mark a major version release.
>
> Anyway at least it's something new to play with.

 < Rant starts >

 I have been reading several news items refering to "theories about RH
 trying to force people to upgrade", and obviously dropping the
 updates for 7.3 at the end of the year.

 They have stopped our account once because I refuse to run rhnsd, I
 prefer up2date and install things "manually".

 Anyway about v9.0, I have made my opinion clear to the owner of the
 box, freebsd 4.7 or nothing, until then 7.3.

 He does wireless audits, the rh kernel is a pita when it
 comes to something like getting kismet to run on a prism 2 card,
 and used to have issues with bog standard orinocos, the gps unit didn't
 work at the first time. It is a simple serial port unit, but no, it
 didn't work.

 Appart the "awesomelly" archaic rpm system, when do they plan to come out
 with something that works?, like Mandrake's urpmi.

 I suppose the new "corporate" cheap version they are now trying to get
 people to install may be better. But I am afraid, I will not recommend
 Red Hat again.

 I can't believe how a company like Mandrake, with such a different
 economic and development situation keeps comming out with a distro
 supposedely geared to desktops, that as a server I think beats the pants
 of Red Hat.

 P.D.: I heard certain rumour about sendmail being replaced, they took
 their time, didn't they?

 < Rant ends >

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk