[Gllug] Postfix -> SMTP

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 5 10:43:40 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:37:56AM +0000, Mick wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I'm running RH 8.0 and think that Postfix (as supplied) is
> an overkill for my situation.  All my mail is handled by our
> mail hub, so I only need a simple SMTP solution.  Here's the
> current setup.
>
>      +------+ SMTP +---------+ SMTP +-----+
>      | Mail |----->| Postfix |----->| Hub |
>      +------+      +---------+      +-----+
>
> How can I get my MUA to send e-mail direct to my hub instead
> of going via the Postfix daemons?

It should be noted that all the solutions recommended to you *still*
involve the MUA sending mail through the local MTA, they just make the
local MTA relay through the hub.  If you want your mail client to send
directly through the hub, you have to set that in the client options -
if the client supports it.  Many *nix mail clients don't speak SMTP at
all but assume the existence of a local sendmail program which will
handle the delivery for them.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.