[Gllug] How to have 2 pointing devices under X?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 21:56:01 UTC 2003

Mr Jean Messerlin wrote:

>Quoting Hong Chyr <chyryh at linuxmail.org>:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>I am using Linux on my notebook, which has a touchpad built in. While at
>>home, I use a USB mouse since its a quicker way for me to get things
>>done.
>>
>>The questions is, how can I configure X so that it can enable both
>>pointing devices at the same time?
>>
>>Any pointers appreciated.
>>

>http://www.google.com/search?q=USB+laptop+XFree86+mouse
>
>More seriously, have you tried the "Second Mouse in X Howto":
>http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/XFree86-Second-Mouse.html
>It probably came with your distribution. Else there seems to be a solution
>involving gpm as a repeater.

This is from my /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"