[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 22:48:03 UTC 2003

Sean Burlington wrote:
> Bernard Peek wrote:
>
>> In message <3E65F6F3.3090604 at uncertainty.org.uk>, Sean Burlington
>> <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> writes
>>
>>> Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>

>> The length of copyright and patent protection should be re-evaluated.
>> The USA have just increased copyright protection to 95 years.
>>
>> Patent lifetimes on medicines are too short, and that is causing a lot
>> of grief in that business.
>

> not nearly as much grief as the patents are causing in the 3rd world !
>
> and drugs companies still spend far more on marketing than research
The average medical rep costs £80,000 a year to run; however GPs can
only remember 2,000 of the 5,000 pharmaceuticals available.  I shall
allow each to make their argument for and against as they will :-)

> In fact I find making medicine a business fairly grim at the best of
> times - I am not convinced that this is the only way to do it...
>
>> Big companies usually avoid illegal practises if they can. They do
>> work hard at getting what they want while complying with the letter of
>> the law.
>

> I disagree with that
>
> I don't think big companies care about whether what they do is or isn't
> legal - they care if it will be profitable or not (Microsoft being
> exhibit A)
>
> breaking the law is often expensive for businesses that have offices
> lited in the phone book

It may not be the companies; however I have seen employees lie about
competitors products, I have seen them destroy competitor's property.

I have also seen individual employees sell hard won information being
sold to competitors.

It is very hard to draw a line between personal responsability and a
culture created from above.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk