[Gllug] mac g3

Andre Newman gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Mar 26 18:47:19 UTC 2003

> I have been given a mac G3.

Excellent :-)

> It has no memory, does anyone know if it takes normal memory?

Pretty normal PC100 or PC133 SDRAM depending on the CPU, I bought a load
for a mixture of G4 & G3's at work 6 months ago. I used Crucial's RAM
selector on their website, no problem at all, genuine Apple memory can be
expensive but it's nothing unusual.

> I get no output on video and I am not sure whether this is because I am
> trying to use PC ram or whether the on-board graphics is dead.

Bear in mind that if you try a PCI graphics card it needs to have Mac
firmware rather than a PC graphics card. Maybe some cards can be flashed,
not sure.

Regards

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk