[Gllug] RPMs and Rsync

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Fri Mar 7 09:19:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:15:57AM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:

> I have three identical machines that run RH 8.0 with
> upgrades using RPMs.  Would it be possible to make one
> machine the master (i.e. only apply rpm updates to that
> machine) and keep the other two in sync using rsync?

No you really don't want to do that.  However if you want you can run a
local mirror of the RH updates and use current -
http://current.tigris.org/ a Redhat Network clone, this means you only
have to download once. Then you can have a crontab entry to run up2date.
I mirror from rsync://mirror.ac.uk/updates.redhat.com/ and use
current/up2date on a range of RH servers.

Not current is my preferred way of doing this, you can use RHN itself,
apt-rpm or yum.

> My worry is that RPMs do more than replace files and that

Yes they have pre/post install scripts, etc.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk