[Gllug] BBC News 24 at higher quality

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Mar 24 11:30:38 UTC 2003

On Saturday, Mar 22, 2003, at 23:20 Europe/London, Dylan wrote:

> Do you think we could make a concerted effort to explain the problems
> to the
> BBC?

Now, RealPlayer is an awful bit of software, but currently it's the
most widely available (reasonably slim) format that's officially
available for linux --- I wouldn't trust the windows media codecs to
continue working with mplayer for too long, especially when MS start
promoting, and third parties start using, the DRM features. So what
exactly are you proposing? The encouragement of Yet Another Monopoly?
Or is there some Open Source alternative that you'd like to promote?

Not meaning to troll --- I'd be thrilled if Xiph's open streaming video
format was up to scatch, and I hear good things about XVid too (though
I've not used it) but I get the feeling that Auntie takes the view that
there are only two formats worth thinking of.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk